El Paseo, often referred to as the Rodeo Drive of the Desert, is a mile long shopping street dotted with boutiques, spas, restaurants and art galleries.
Fashion lovers flock to this shopping mecca to scour the racks of shops like Saks Fifth Avenue, Anthropologie, and Johnny Was. This street is home to some of the best restaurants in Greater Palm Springs, so it’s the perfect place to shop until a grapefruit basil martini and fresh plate of gnocchi starts calling your name.
Read on for my favorite places to shop and eat on El Paseo in Palm Desert!
First of all, where is El Paseo?
El Paseo is located in Palm Desert:
- 7 minutes from Rancho Mirage
- 9 minutes from Indian Wells
- 12 minutes from Cathedral City
- 20 minutes from La Quinta
- 25 minutes from Palm Springs
My favourite stores on El Paseo
- My favourite store in the whole wide world! I love popping in to check out their dresses and flowy wide-leg pants.
- Organic skin, hair and body care. Pick up a Palm Springs Spa Collection set made up of products sourced from indigenous botanical ingredients.
- Boho Chic clothing. They have a great selection of hats perfect for the desert or your next tropical vacay.
- All the home decor inspo! I love coming here to look at all the eclectic knick knacks.
- Another great boutique for the boho ladies out there. Perfect for picking up a last minute piece for Coachella!
- Sophisticated dresses and purses. Great for picking out a date night outfit!
- I love Trina Turk and her tropical, mid-century vibe. You are bound to find something colourful here.
- I will take one of everything.
Johnny Was Boutique. How gorgeous is the storefront??
Popular Chain Stores on El Paseo
If you’re looking for something specific, here are a few popular chain stores that you can find on El Paseo:
High End Stores
Vintage and thrift shops
My favorite restaurants on El Paseo
- Happy hour all night! Sit on the bar side. You might need to add your name to the chalkboard waitlist on the wall, but the line moves quickly. I love the gnocchi and always order the house red!
- As mentioned, their grapefruit basil martini is one of my favourite drinks in the desert. I’m usually averse to sweet drinks (dirty vodka martini’s are my go-to), but these are the perfect balance of sweet, tart and strong with a punch of flavour from the basil. If you go during happy hour, order the goat cheese!
- Speaking of dirty vodka martinis, Pacifica has HUNDREDS of varietals of vodka. Ask your waiter to bring you the iPad so you can scroll through them all. I love sitting in the bar and ordering a vodka based drink and a few share plates.
- They are owned by the same company as the Cliffhouse, another local favourite. If you go to Cliffhouse (located in La Quinta), get the artichoke and fish tacos! Wash it down with a cadillac margarita.
- I used to be skeptical about eating sushi in the desert, but Venue never disappoints.
- I also love the sushi served at JW Marriott lounge just down the road if you’re craving sushi! A little pricey but really good!
- Sullivan’s is such a fun spot for happy hour. It’s always bumpin’ and there is usually live music.
- THE brunch spot in Palm Desert. No one does comfort food quite like Wilma and Frieda. There will always be a line-up, but it will always be worth it! They just opened another location in Downtown Palm Springs if you’re staying down that way!
Great Kid-Friendly Restaurants on El Paseo:
California Pizza Kitchen
Sammy’s Woodfired Pizza
Other Shopping Near El Paseo:
- I always scour Nordstrom Rack from top to bottom when I visit the desert. There are amazing deals and off the rack items that sell for a fraction of the retail price.
- Bonus: Whole Foods and Home Goods are right next door!
- Just an 8-minute drive away from El Paseo! This family-friendly outdoor shopping district has a movie theatre and restaurants like the Yard House and Cheesecake Factory. I find it is more kid-friendly than El Paseo and very close by!
- Perfect place to cool down if you’re visiting during the warmer months! There is a movie theatre attached to the mall if you need to escape the heat a little longer! Stuft Pizza is a great spot to catch a game or grab a pizza to-go.
- Brand new Marriott Autograph Collection boutique hotel. Conveniently located right off the strip!
- They sometimes have live music in the courtyard area where you can enjoy a beverage and relax.
- 5 minutes away in Indian Wells, the brand new Sands hotel is so beautifully decorated (and conveniently located right beside The Nest…)
- They have a lovely spa and restaurant (Pink Cabana) so if you don’t end up staying there, go visit for lunch or a spa treatment!
- A classic hotel in Palm Desert and a great place to stay with children. Their boat rides, flamingos, parrots and gigantic pool will entertain the little ones all day.
- A romantic boutique hotel in Indian Wells!
Parking on El Paseo
There is a ton of free 2-hour parking on the street, as well as a giant complimentary covered parkade behind The Gardens on El Paseo (a very central part of the street). Some restaurants offer valet parking.
Hope you enjoyed this guide outlining my favourite spots to hit on El Paseo! It can be a little overwhelming, so start with these local favourites and go from there!