Austin, Texas really is the ultimate girls weekend destination. Honky tonks, karaoke, food trucks, the original Whole Foods, and an incredible bar scene. Not convinced yet? It has continuously made it onto the top 10 list for best looking men in America. That’s a recipe for a good girls weekend if you ask me ;-).
Places to Stay in Austin
There are some amazing Airbnb’s in Austin. I’d recommend staying in Downtown Austin as it is very central to other popular areas like South Congress, 6th Street and Rainey Street. Don’t stay too far out (like near the college campus), or you’ll need to Uber to get Downtown. It’s only about an 8 minute drive, but considering you’re only there for the weekend, I think it’s worth it to stay in the heart of it all.
If you don’t find an Airbnb you love, here are some great hotels in Austin:
- Very central, but also very pricey
Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
- Great location and central
Hampton Inn and Suites
- Great reviews, more budget-friendly, good location
The LINE Austin
- Funky hotel in Austin at the foot of the bridge
Hotels on South Congress that are very popular:
South Congress Hotel
- Serious decor goals, and has an amazing bar and restaurant attached
Hotel Saint Cecilia
- The cutest boutique hotel you ever did see
Hotel San Jose
- Cute hotel with a great courtyard bar
How to Get Around Austin
Uber and Lyft
- These electric scooters are SO much fun. You can just rent them, get where you need to go, and leave them behind wherever you want, no designated area required! We had so much fun scoot scootin’ around town on these!
Ya, Don’t Put Me Down for Cardio
If you’re into doing something active during your girls trip to Austin, here are a few recommendations!
Kayak/Canoe/Paddleboarding on Town Lake
- Rental Company – Zilker Boats
- You can also set up a private SUP yoga class for a group of you if interested)
Ladybird Lake Hike & Bike Trail
- 4.4 mile moderate hike.
Hike Mount Bonnell for the sunset
- 99 steps to a gorgeous view!
The Greenbelt (nature walk)
- Go to Sculpture Falls
- Has 360 degree views of the city and a hike
Butler Pitch and Putt
- Short par 3 course – BYOB right downtown
- Austin is on ClassPass, so if you’re a member, check out some participating locations!
First we have the coffee, then we do the things
- I love you so much sign outside the South Congress Location
June’s All Day
- Great for coffee or later in the day for cocktails/dinner
Elizabeth Street Cafe
- Get an Iced Vietnamese Coffee and take a picture in front of the cutest pink door!
Wright Brothers Brew and Brew
- Cocktails or coffee with a cute outdoor area
Cause It’s 11:30 and the girls be brunchin’ brunchin’
Your girls weekend in Austin needs to involve some solid brunch hangs. All these options are super cute and serve delicious brunch. Take a look at their menu’s and pick one that stands out!
Cafe No Se
- Pictured below
South Congress Cafe
Banger’s Brunch on Rainey Street
- This spot has german style brats and HUGE litres of beer. Local fav.
Lake Austin Spa
- About a 40 minute drive from Downtown Austin.
- Attached to a resort if you want to spend an evening here!
Viva Day Spa
Spa at JW Marriott
Milk & Honey
Things To Do in Austin
Rent Lime Scooters and Tour the City
Castle Hill Graffiti Park
- Tip: If you rent LIME scooters here, take them to the original Whole Foods. From there, explore 6th street or around Downtown Austin.
Float the River with ATXcursions
- About an hour away from Downtown Austin (the tour company takes you in a bus so no need to worry about driving). This was SUCH a fun experience! Grab some whiteclaws and get your float on.
Wholefoods Flagship Store
Swim in Barton Springs
- $3/person – Amazing fresh water pool
Food Truck Hopping
Explore the Cities Murals
Walk Up and Down East 6th, stopping into restaurants and bars
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
- Feel like seeing a movie? This place delivers beer, wine and delicious meals right to your seat
Bat Bridge at Dusk
- March to November only
- Surf spot (and brewery) located in Southeast Austin
Wander Down South Congress Ave
- Favourite spots along the way: June’s, Cafe No Se, Lymbo Clothing, Jo’s Coffee, South Congress Cafe, Willie Nelson Mural, Smile Mural, I Love you So Much mural, Torchy’s Tacos (at the end of the street pretty much)
- There are cute shops along the whole street so I suggest spending a few hours walking around the area!
Blanton Museum of Art
Grab some local treats
- Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop for treats or La Patisserie for macaroons
Did Somebody say Happy Hour? Cute Cocktail Spots in Austin:
South Congress Hotel Bar
- Great Old Fashioned’s and bar snacks
Hotel San Jose Back Patio
- Tex Mex and Margarita’s
- Austin’s “fancy” hostel, cool place to meet people
- Tropical vibes with amazing craft cocktails
Best Restaurants in Austin
- I’m starting with Tex-Mex because your girls weekend in Austin will not be complete without a few tacos and margaritas!
- Torchy’s Tacos is an institution in Austin. My favourites are the avocado tacos and queso dip to start!
- Good lunch spot
- Great for breakfast tacos
- ATX Cocina (gluten-free)
- Modern Mexican
- Fun spot to sit outside at
- Has a salsa bar and pitchers of margaritas
- Everyone’s go-to spot Downtown
- Rustic-chic Tex-mex eatery
- Ramen Tatsu-ya
- East Side King
- Lin Asian Bar and Dim Sum
Higher End Spots:
- Odd Duck
- Contemporary American with a rooftop bar
- Blue Dahlia
- Easy Tiger
- Craving Pizza? Via 313 Detroit Style Pizza or Home Slice Pizza
- A food hall with a few different options. Fun if you want to try a few dishes from some local favourites
- Counter Culture (Vegan)
- Mother’s Cafe
Aprés Dinner Drinks/Night Out
Highball Karaoke Room
Anywhere on Rainey Street
- Rainey Street is lined with old historic homes converted into bars. Such a cool concept!! Each bar has a different vibe and character to it, so I suggest popping into a few places!
- I had a lot of fun at Lustre Pearl’s and Lucilles
- The Continental Club and Antone’s are favourites.
- Others include: The Erwin Center, The Moody Theater, Cedar Street Courtyard, The Mohawk, C-Boys Heart & Soul, Emo’s, Stubb’s )
- Weather Up Bar
- Mean Eyed Cat – Beer and Wine only!
- Justine’s Late Night – Can come for a late dinner or just drinks. Fun outdoor patio
- Anywhere on “Dirty 6th”