With the leaves changing, and a crisp chill in the air, it’s time to swap out tank tops for knits, flip flops for boots, and iced coffees for steaming hot lattes. More importantly, shelf the “rosé all day” mentality and get ready to sub it for something a litttttle bit stronger *Jack Black voice from The Holiday*.
My favorite drink of choice during the fall and winter season is a bourbon sour. I’ve made it my personal mission to try as many as possible on my travels in hopes of finding the perfect concoction. While there are a few Vancouver haunts that make a mean cocktail, I decided to take matters into my own hands.
Read on for the perfect thanksgiving cocktail recipe, the Apple Cinnamon Bourbon Sour.
Ingredients for each Apple Cinnamon Bourbon Sour:
- 1.5 ounces of Bourbon of choice (I used Bulleit)
- 0.5 ounces (3 teaspoons) Apple Cider (Spiced if you can find it)
- 2 Hard Dashes of Bitters
- 1 Egg White
- 0.5 ounces (3 teaspoons) fresh lemon juice (Fresh squeezed lemons always taste best and are less acidic. If buying lemon juice, avoid any juice from concentrate)
- 0.5 ounces (3 teaspoons) Dark Brown Sugar for Cinnamon Sugar Syrup (instructions below)
- Ground Cinnamon for garnish
- Cinnamon sticks
- Red Delicious Apples, sliced thin for garnish
- You can find apple cider in either the juice & pop aisle, or health food section. Try to visit a speciality grocery store as they may have a wider selection (think Whole Foods or Urban Fare).
- Bitters can be tricky to find. If you live in Canada, Save-on-Foods sells it! Whole Foods does not.
- Buy the cinnamon sticks and sugar in the bulk section if you’ll only need them for this recipe. That way you’re not stuck with 20 cinnamon sticks or a massive bag full of sugar.
- Shaker with Strainer
- Cutting Board
- Cocktail glasses (coup glasses are best, google if you’d like a visual)
Directions for Brown Sugar Cinnamon Syrup:
Bring 1.5 parts brown sugar and one part water to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Add two cinnamon sticks and turn off heat.
Tip: Make more than needed to keep for later. To do so, strain syrup into a small squeeze bottle and refrigerate. Will last indefinitely in the fridge.
Directions to make Apple Cinnamon Bourbon Sour:
Combine bourbon, egg whites, apple cider, cinnamon syrup (directions above) and lemon juice in a shaker cup. Shake for 20 seconds to help emulsify egg whites (helps create a rich, creamy cocktail). Fill the shaker halfway with ice, and shake again until the shaker is cold to the touch. Strain cocktail into a chilled coup glass. Top each cocktail with 2 hard dashes of bitters and sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Garnish with apple fan or cinnamon stick.
Egg White Tips:
- For egg whites, crack egg in half and transfer yolk back and forth between the two pieces of shell to separate whites (exactly like baking). Always start cocktail with egg whites to ensure the yolk doesn’t break and ruin the rest of the ingredients.
All done! Time to get your drink on. Bottom’s up!
Special thank you to Christian Brown, one of Vancouver’s top cocktail connoisseurs, for the brains behind this delicious Thanksgiving cocktail recipe!